A momentary prick is often felt around the needle as it is inserted, eventually creating a dull pressure or tingling around the area during the treatment. Most people are amazed at how relaxed they feel during and after the treatment. This can only occur if the treatment is comfortable and gentle. Very typically, clients will fall asleep and nap soon after needles are inserted!
Is acupuncture safe?
When looking for an acupuncturist be sure to look for proper qualifications. Many chiropractors and MD’s perform acupuncture. Depending on which state they are practicing in, these practitioners are required to get about 100 hours of training to give acupuncture. An NCCAOM (National Commission for the Certification of Acupuncturists); LAc. (licensed Acupuncturist); Dipl.Ac. (Diplomat of Acupuncture) DOM (Dr. of Oriental Medicine) OMD (Oriental medical Doctor) will have a minimum of four years training equivalent to a Masters Degree. Be sure to ask for credentials.
What conditions are treated with acupuncture?
Acupuncture is known primarily as a means of treating pain. The World Health Organization recognizes acupuncture’s effectiveness in treating the following disorders.
- Musculo-skeletal disorders
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- All pain from common injuries, car accidents or trauma
- Migraine and other headaches
- Chronic fatigue
- Tennis elbow
- Frozen shoulder
- TMJ (Trigeminal Neuralgia)
- Respiratory disorders
- Colds & flu, bronchitis, asthma, allergies, chronic cough
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Food allergies, nausea, indigestion, diarrhea, constipation, stomach Ulcers
- Gas and bloating
- Gynecological disorders
- Menstrual irregularity, endometriosis, painful menstruation, infertility, menopausal symptoms
- Urogenital disorders
- Cystitis, stress incontinence, any bladder issues, prostatitis, kidney stones
- Urinary tract infections
- Psycho-emotional and neurological disorders
- Depression, anxiety, insomnia, post-stroke paralysis, dizziness, tinnitus
- Addictions and eating disorders
How many treatments will I need?
This will depend on the duration, severity, and nature of your complaint as well as your overall health. A series of five to fifteen treatments may resolve many chronic problems. Some degenerative conditions may require many treatments over time. Chinese herbs can be very helpful to speed this process along. Two treatments a week is not unusual with severe symptoms, once a week is usual although your practitioner will set up a protocol for your specific needs.
Patients often experience the most dramatic results in the first treatment. Some experience partial relief of their pain or other symptoms. This relief may last for various periods of time. The better you are at reporting results to your practitioner, the better we are able to tailor your treatment plan.
What can I expect after treatment?
After a person receives acupuncture treatment, he or she will experience a sense of general well-being and relaxation. It is reported that an individual feels an improvement in sleep quality, digestion and overall energy levels. Since acupuncture heals the body through natural techniques, side effects are very rare. Mild exacerbation of conditions may be felt after a first treatment, but subsides with additional treatments. Acupuncture is safe for persons of all ages including children and the elderly, although treatment for the elderly is usually done to reduce discomfort and manage a stable condition.
Does Grace Acupuncture offer Chinese herbs? If so, what kind?
We have an extensive Chinese herbal pharmacy that consists primarily of patent herbal formulas that comes as granulated capsules or tablets. The clinic also offers customized herbal powdered blends.
Before your first visit check list
- Wear loose clothing that allows access to your lower legs and lower arms. Pants should allow access up to the knee. Please do not wear jeans.
- Please eat something light prior to your treatment. Never arrive on an empty stomach. Don’t eat too heavily just prior to or just after treatment.
- Allow up to 90 minutes for the first appointment so that we have time to properly assess your health care needs.
- Medical history is important. If you have diagnostic tests and reports from other practitioners that pertain to your current health concern, please bring copies so that we can provide the best care possible.
Please call with any questions or concerns. We look forward to meeting you!